Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Ocean Racer's Amnesia

I sit here at my kitchen table in dry clothes, with stable ground, and a cold beer within arms reach. I am energized, knowing that the Pacific Cup starts less than two days. I can't wait to be offshore again with a fresh breeze, brilliant sunsets, starry skies that touch the horizon, those soul-filling moments of helming under spinnaker, and being far away from telephones, meetings, and expando folders filled with problems to solve. 

Of course, I know that I have forgotten about the reality of ocean racing. The wet clothes, the constantly moving surface beneath you, the nasty squalls, trying to remain nimble while wearing ~20 pounds of wet kit and safety gear, and the lack of sleep. You'd think I'd remember this as I've been offshore many times and I've already written about the evils of Ocean Racer's Amnesia  (click here). 

But here I am again, so jacked to live out of a little duffel bag for several weeks in close quarters with four men, knowing that the conveniences of a land-based life are far away, that showers are few and far between, and that trying to use the head is like being on the gameshow "Wipeout".

There is just something about the call of the sea that brings me back again and again. Watch this space and I will share my fantastic voyage with you. 

Peace Out, Bagley

 

No comments:

Post a Comment