Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Bags on bags: the Logistics of Packing for an Ocean Voyage.

Yes, the boat is 72 feet long, but the storage space is minimal. No self respecting sailor brings a wheelie bag on an ocean voyage. I have learned to live for weeks out of a carry-on duffle bag. What’s the trick?  Lots and lots of planning and over thinking.

The reality is, offshore, you don’t change your clothes everyday. Usually, showers are limited, minimal (all of the saltwater you want but only a pint of fresh water to rinse), or not practical (ever tried to shower at 25 knots??). So, hope for squalls and bring a lot of baby wipes. Unscented. Once, I mistakenly bought grape scented. I smelled like a Jolly Rancher (not optimal).

 Back to packing .... I like to organize my “outfits” in numbered bags, based upon the weather for each part of the trip. Because the temperature is relatively constant throughout this trip, each dry bag contains a pair of shorts, a tank top, long sleeved sun shirt, and long quick dry hiking pants. Other dry bags include other clothes and necessities. My electronics live in a fortified Tupperware box. I bring two of what I can’t live without (sunglasses!) and then jam in as many underwear  as I can. There are no hair driers,  flat irons, stilettos, or anything cotton.  This time, I have a few gifts for our land based lodging host on Kirimati and the ingredients to  make “boat bombs” (Inside out cinnamon rolls aptly named by Corey!) for the crew.

Peace Out,
Bags






No comments:

Post a Comment