Sunday, March 31, 2013

December 2008/January 2009 archives

Es Geht’s Los! (Auf englisch: Here We Go!)

Tuesday, January 27th, 2009

 

After too much holiday cheer and too long of a break from running and training hard with kettlebells (fondly known as kettleHELLs), I had to seek professional help (not psychiatric!!!).  27 January was the first day of the rest of my life AND the first day of Clipper Race fitness training.  Up at 0500 and off to the gym for some torturous exercises with my friend and personal trainer Super Dave.  For some reason, I still feel good.  I guess the preventative Nuprin (little, yellow, different!) hasn’t worn off yet.  No more sleeping in, no more blowing off the gym.  It is time to get serious and work out until I feel like puking.

 

I sent Super Dave a series of photos of different positions on the boat and described the types of things I will need to do so that he could create simulated training exercises.  He has an advanced degree from Cal in physiology and was really great at training me, back in the day, for strongman events ( 350# tractor tire )  .  We sure had some funny looks back then and, I imagine, we will get a few more now.  At least it is so early in the morning, no one knows what the hell is going on.

 

I am not exactly sure what Super Dave has in store - but it will include: lots of core and shoulder work and some crazy looking torture, I mean training, devices.  I always feel like I need to wear a helmet during my workouts.  I will spend 2 mornings a week for the next 10 weeks with him, at least two more nights on my own time and some serious homework for the weekends: cardio (run, swim, bike, etc. on my own time) to build endurance for those sleepless weeks during the race, more abs, more push ups and more kettlebells.   I hope to work in some yoga, but I it usually conflicts with my current racing schedule.

 

If there is anything truly bizarre, I will have to include a photo.  Of course, I will also give a full report after Training Parts A & B on the boats in the UK.

 

When I return, there will be a few more months to tweak the fitness programme before I return to the UK for more training in August and then the Race start in September.

While Quannon (check out Feb’s Latitude 38 for more info)  is trying to gain some weight, I am trying to lose some and to be able to match/better his abilities at the bow. 

So much to do, so little time.  GAME ON!!!!

 

Sailing With My Clipper Mates

Tuesday, December 9th, 2008
  • Friday, we took 09/10 RTW-er Quannon Au and 02/03 RTW-er and Clipper Race recruiter David Cusworth for a sail.  The weather was wonderful for November and we even found a bit of wind.   We headed out the Gate and it was sure hard not to just keep on going west!
  •         David takes the helm      img_1908.jpg        img_1927.jpg   Q contemplates to just keep sailing towards Hawaii
  • But, I still have not solved one of life’s biggest mysteries: if the forecastle is pronounced “fo’c’sle”, and Worchestershire is pronounced “Werstersure”, then why isn’t Newcastle Ale pronounce “Newk’sle”?

No comments:

Post a Comment