Sunday, March 31, 2013

TEAM CALIFORNIA: Race from Jamaica to NYC: BERMUDA TRIANGLE

With skipper at the helm, we crossed the starting line too early and had
to do a penalty 360 turn, putting us at the rear of the fleet right off
the bat. Bummer. At least we didn'thit the Committee Boat
(JamaicanCoastGuard). Qingdao missed the race start completely as they
were farther away conducting some "secret" practise trials - but they
have made some serious gains in the last day. Alhtough wewere told we
were in 2nd at one point, we seem to have steadily remained around 5th
place.

It is cooling off on board, but that doesn't mean it is comfortable in
the Res. Hot bunking has kept us on the high sideformost of the race so
far, which means NO AIR. We are sweating buckets in our sleep - or in
our attempts to sleep.

The sea state is calm and colour is that amazing CAribbean Blue.
Patches of sea grass float by. OTher than the hazy outlines of Cuba and
Haiti, we have yet to see any land. Most islands out here are very
flat. The nights bring some squalls and brilliant lightning storms.
When clear, the stars are soooo bright. No sea creatures sighted yet,
other than the occasional lonely flying fish or sea bird. We did see a
kitchen sink, however!

The leak seems to be fixed and the generator is cooperating for the mo.
It only seems to work in fair weather! We have our midweight spinnaker
up in aboupt 8knots of breeze. We are nearing the Mira Por Vos Passage
and the Crooked Island Passage. SOme boats have taken the more easterly
Mayaguana Passage. We'll see which one pays off. The winds areexpectedto
stay light for the next fewdays. We hope to catch the Gulf Stream sooner
rather than later toboost our speed.

Today is Paul's 41st birthday. Not a bad place to be for a birthday, but
the food could be better. I plan to supplement my food supply once we
get to NYC as I cannot exist on top ramen noodles with penaut butter
sauce (eeew!). Some of the menu items remind me of Fast Food Nation. My
body is craving fresh fruit and veg. This daily intake of processed food
is beginning to take its toll. I lack energy. I am, however, growing
sprouts as I type. They should be ready in 2 days. I also have some nuts
and dried fruit that I eat in place of cornflakes(cardboard)for brekkie.
There was no soy, rice or nut milk in Jamaica (that didn't have diary in
it!), so I am lacking calcium. Sausage and bacon are popular meat
additions, and due to the preservatives to which I am allergic, I cannot
eat said additions and therefore, also lack significant protein. The
meals are processed-carb heavy, which gets old after a few weeks. I am
down to my last raw veg crackers that I made back in April. I am
surprised they have lasted this long, although they are no longer crisp.
I tend to add them to personal stash of miso soup when "beef tacos"
(tinned beef in premade Old El Paso tortilla shells) or Noodle
PeanutSatay (previously mentioned) is served. I know, I know, it could
be worse, but I think my patience is slipping(blame it on sleep
deprivation). On the positiveside, we will never run out of TEA!

Many of us are excited to sail into NYC. I cannot wait to my sister, my
brother in law and their 3 wonderful children. HOw many people can say
their crazy auntie SAILED across a few oceans for a visit???? BTW, I
believe we are in midst of the Bermuda Triangle.

Peace Out, Bagley

No comments:

Post a Comment